Tuesday, March 24, 2015

dream on

I'm not much a dreamer and on most nights i usually have a restful, dreamless sleep. But there is this one dream of late that is stuck in my head and whose meaning i would like to unravel. In it, i am standing on the high end of a plunging seashore with the turbulent and frothy sea raging in the deep end. I stand calm but in fear as the waves mercilessly thrash the seashore. I am afraid that the waves might pull or drag me in and drown me in the process. This scene is set on a full moon night and i am not alone. The seashore is bustling with people watching the sea as it ebbs and flows. In this same dream sequence set during the day, i see myself walking along the seashore observing people frolic on the beach. Although i love being near the sea, i don't venture into the water. There is a acute sense of fear holding me back. This is pretty much all i can recall from this dream.

In a similar dream, i am standing on the balcony of a high-rise multi-storied building and watching an incoming tsunami as it hits the shore. I can see the massive waves rising in the background and slowly gathering speed. The sea-shore is dotted with people and shops and all manner of beach activity. But this scene remains oblivious to the approaching tsunami, something i can see from the comfort of my high perch. I watch the tsunami with trepidation and anxiety as it gathers closer to the shore. I observe the scenes of panic-induced helter-skelter and of destruction wrought as the massive fountain of water spills onto the land. But thankfully, the building on which i stand is untouched. Water flows through its lower-floor interiors and on to the streets below but no physical damage is done to its structure. I don't remember more than this but vividly register the gigantic size of the tsunami and the fear induced by its sight.

In both my dreams, fear and anxiety dominate, to a point of nausea. Yet i stand helpless and silently witness the violent waters either crash against the shore or rise like a giant tsunami. What could these dreams mean and why do i choose to remember them? To begin with, i know they hold an underlying significance to understanding my life and overcoming my unconscious fears and anxieties. But beyond this i am in a blindspot. In any case, i would like to explore this dream and unlock its hidden meaning.


No comments: