Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tumi Ke, Bolo To??

Travelling by local train in the countryside is an truly eye-opener. My personal experience has been that we board the train with all the baggage of middle class pretensions but disembark with absolutely no reservations. You get a real slice of life; the sights, smells and cacophony of that class of society that is hidden from our everyday view.
On a different note, I am sometimes confounded with the duality of life, the compartmentalisation of one's existence into wholly immutable spaces. Here i am on one side being comfortable with my identity as ascribed by birth and on the other equally at ease with my chosen identity. Yet i can never seem to reconcile myself to either. These are separate selves within the self, coexisting cohabiting yet altogether different. Really who am I??